Random-access memory or ram memory functions as an integral part of the central processing unit (CPU) of any computer. Ram memory mainly functions to store data, all kinds of programs and the results of the programs. It is not possible to get data stored unless the computer is on. Whenever the users turn the switch off, the ram memory removes all the data. Ram memory is a volatile storing unit of a computer. It is very small with regards to its size and capacity of holding data.
The ram memory not only removes the stored information when the users turn off the switch, but also in the time of power supply interruption. The computer users can access the data in the ram memory but the process is very expensive.
The Purpose Of Its Usage (Random Access Memory)
The computer and other devices are able to perform daily tasks with the help of ram memory. The major role of the ram memory is to run the systems and load them. The ram permits the users to get into tasks such as application loading, internet browsing, spreadsheet editing, etc, as it can easily remember the Tasks the users were running before turning off the system. This is why a computer performs better with more memory. The computer always use the ram memory actively, even when the users get busy with multiple tasks. The ram memory permits the handlers to do their tasks on various types of projects. The users can easily access the data without visiting the storing device.
Types Of Random Access Memory:
There are two types of ram memory available in the market. These are Static Ram and Dynamic Ram.
- The static ram memory means that the RAM can hold its memory as long as there is power supply. The ram memory cannot hold the information in the time of power supply interruption. The static ram memory (SRAM) chips, mainly use a model of six transistors. The users must not refresh the SRAM on a daily basis, as the transistors do not need any power to stop the data from leaking. The SRAM’s longevity is more and it’s speed is ideal. Some major features are:
- Data longevity is high.
- Users do not need to refresh on a daily basis.
- Speed is faster compared to DRAM
The users must refresh the Dynamic ram memory (DRAM) continuously to preserve data. The user should place the ram memory to a refreshing circuit that rewrites the information. Most of the users use the DRAM because of its pocket-friendly price and small size. All DRAMs contain memory cells, which consists of one capacitor and one transistor. Some major features are:
- Data longevity is very short.
- Users should refresh it on a daily basis.